Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Hello, from Adrian!

Hi there, First Unitarians!

I realize that, although I have been a member of First Unitarian for 14 years now...many of you there today probably don't know me very well, since I'm not able to be with you on Sunday mornings.

So, a little about me. I joined First Unitarian in 2003, and over the years have served in many capacities - I've taught Children's RE, Adult RE, and Jr./Sr. High OWL; I've been a member of several committees, including Membership, Ministerial Internship, Ministerial Search, Committee on Ministry, and more; and I've twice served on the Board, as a Trustee and as an Officer. Currently, I serve the UU Congregation of Rockville as Director of Communications & Membership.

I became a UU in the late 1990s, and this GA is my 5th in that time. As a black man in a predominantly white faith tradition, our recent national conversations around race and white supremacy have been difficult. What I'm most seeking by being here in New Orleans this year is fellowship with other UUs of color, and deeper insights into Unitarian Universalist congregational dynamics. I am also hoping for some spiritual renewal! Hopefully, the fellowship and joy of being surrounded by so many UUs will take care of some of that!

For now, I'm off to the Opening Celebration! It starts at 8:30 p.m. (Eastern), and you can watch GA online! So follow along.

Peace,
Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outreach Revolution -- Part 2 -- Social Media (Leora)

The second half of the Outreach Revolution workshop dealt with social media, especially Facebook (FB).   The UUA will be offering w...